Sunday, February 12, 2006

It's Been A While

It's been some time since I've been up to town so I'd forgotten about the Homechoice posters I keep seeing on the tube. Home choice is one of those cable tv network providers who seem to offer you everything you always needed to never have to leave your home again.

Which is probably why their posters show some bored looking bloke doing something amazing (being in space, swimming with Dolphins, whatever) saying he'd rather be at home with his telly. Wow. They're selling us a world where it's better to stay indoors and experience everything this world has to offer vicariously through someone else being projected on to a screen than to do it yourself.

Why would this be a good idea?

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain falling, and it put a huge smile on my face. We've pushed through the dead of winter and spring is on it's way. It's time for everything to start blossoming again and that long period of semi persistant rainfall, needed to bring about new life. I think that's why I was so desperate to clean up the 'garden' area opposite Chuffy yesterday. I hope to do good things with that space this year. Coincidentally this has also been the week that I stepped back out into the world, both workwise and socially.

I realise now that in essence I have been hibernating over winter. Staying in, keeping warm, eating well and now beginning to prepare myself, physically, mentally and spiritually for the year ahead.

If you want to understand why I feel that, why so many of us feel that boat life keeps you in touch with the passage of nature and the movement of the seasons, then I'd offer the two paragraphs above as evidence.

One final thought. By the time I reached home on Friday I was tired, it has been a long and fulfilling week, but I was hitting a low ebb. I stopped off at Mike's for a cup of tea and a chat and he told me a quote he'd read that morning. Those words have kept me smiling all weekend and will do I guess pretty much for the rest of my life. It came from the Dalai Lama and went something like this.

I always get the feeling I'm just another human being...



Tunes: The sound of the rain falling

No comments: