Sunday, February 10, 2008

Everybody here comes from somewhere

Seems to have been a very musical start to the year for me. I've picked up Sandy Denny's 4 studio albums, Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy and the new Black Mountain, and I've listened to more. I've seen Thistletown in a folk club in Euston, The Broken Family Band at the Cambridge Barfly, Okkervil River at the Scala, Dropkick Murphys in Norwich (don't ask) and hopefully Elbow this Tuesday in Queensway (cheers Ken). Okkervil may have laid down the benchmark, a stunning show, as passionate as Neil Young leaning into Old Black, but the sight of a stage full of student girls dancing up with the Murphys will keep me smiling for a while!

But somehow, I can't stop listening to the new R.E.M. single.


Listening to R.E.M.'s Supernatural Superserious

2 comments:

Dan GBH said...

I always thought the point, really, of Valentine's Day was the anonymous remote flirting, which I still find rather cool, stalker implications notwithstanding.

It can be a lot of fun messing with expectations, too; going a way back, I am surprised that not one or two but three people, at different times, were not utterly freaked out by being given copies of '1000 days of Sodom' on Valentine's day.

In direct contrast to both the above scenarios, I will be making a present of some rather tamer books to my own spouse tomorrow, cos that's what she likes.
















Mark, as you know, we go way back on music, and we know where the good taste bodies are buried, but...

Poison's greatest hits?

Afraid Of Ducks said...

You know how they say that there's no sentence in the English language that can't be made amusing by adding 'as the actress said to the bishop' at the end of it? Well there are no words in any language that can't be reduced to meaningless guff, by adding, 'but then, again I also own a copy of Poison's Greatest Hits' at the end of them.

Think about it. E=MC squared, but then again, I also own a copy of Poison's Greatest Hits.

Love thy neighbour, but then again, I also own a copy of Poison's Greatest Hits.

Every rose has it's thorn, but then again, I also own a copy of Poison's Greatest Hits.

Etc.

Do you still have any of those ex's phone numbers?