Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good morning, good afternoon

I'm told I don't blog enough these days.

Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the death of Sandy Denny, once a citizen of these parts, and, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest, if not the greatest female singers this country has ever produced.

I didn't come to her music until last year, although unknowingly, I'd first heard her voice in my early teens on Led Zeppelin's The Battle of Evermore, and her songs covered by others. I blame Dan, who sent me a copy of Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief, for a rapid spending spree on her four solo albums, two Fairport albums, and the very beautiful Live at the BBC boxed set.

Since then, they've been on near constant repetition, the good and the not so good, spread out amongst them, some of the loveliest music I've heard. And although who Knows Where The Time Goes is considered to be her best tune, Like An Old Fashioned Waltz is the song that melts me every single time.

There's been a recent batch of retrospectives, and Bob Harris' Radio2 documentary I'm listening to at the moment, remembering her career. Wikipedia sketches out the basics of her fairly tumultuous and ultimately tragic life.

But you'd be better off just listening to her songs instead.

No comments: