Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Is There One Last Untamed Untouched Part

It's funny what finally breaks people. Not that long ago, half an hour or so as it happens, I was sitting on Mike's boat pretty much enjoying the self-conscious quirkiness of 'A Cock And Bull Story' when this sound broke our concentration. And the movie does take a little concentration. It took a few moments to figure out that this was whom we shall call Neighbour L. Now I know she was singing. In her world at least. In truth my toes started curling and I began to feel my tuna avocado dinner return somewhat unwanted. Certainly what notes were appearing haven't been invented yet. No words, just a semi-lupine outpouring at top volume. Think of a cat trying to yowl opera whilst being put through a barbed wire mangle.

Suddenly from the other side, he whom shall be referred to as Neighbour S, was taken to an uncharacteristic bout of vocal abuse. Something along the lines of: "Just shut the fuck up will you..." repeated until the noise abated. Neighbour S is one of those folks for whom the phrase 'wouldn't say boo to a goose' might have been invented (although I don't know anyone who's ever said boo to a goose. I've had plenty of opportunities and never once even thought of it). Apparently the vocal callisthenics added just a touch too much atmosphere to the horror movie he was watching and he, for want of a better word, snapped.

I've been listening to a LOT of The Rainmakers recently. A few minutes surfing this lunchtime revealed a bunch of their videos and some live performances on You Tube. This is one of my favourite tunes from their penultimate, and sadly only fourth, studio album. It's not exactly "I wish I cared but I don't know how" but I guess even Bob had to fall in love eventually. Damn they made some shitty videos!





Tunes: The Rainmakers: Flirting With The Universe

No comments: