Sunday, August 19, 2007

I Made This

Once upon a different life ago I held on to a deluded dream of being a film maker. I only say deluded because I wasn't close to being the kind of person I would have needed to be to get through. I enjoyed the time I spent dabbling, it was fun making the films we did make and of all of them I'm most proud of a promo we did for the band Snuff.

We'd been in touch with them about using some songs of theirs and they needed a video for their cover of The Four Tops' Standing In The Shadows Of Love. They gave us £500. £100 went on lights and tape, £300 on hiring an AVID suite and we walked of with the last £100. £25 each for three days work. I managed to blag some digitisation off an old Uni buddy I'd luckily bumped into a few weeks before. Probably the only good bit of producing I ever did.

We shot on Super-VHS, a day at a rehearsal studio and an evening at the Dublin Castle, a gate-crash gig they put on for us to get more footage. Then 2 days editing. We'd been in contact with an editor who had a friend with an AVID at home who was away for the weekend which is why it was so cheap. I think she was working for nothing.

I would have liked to have become an editor.

The band were great guys, the experience was a hoot and seeing 30 seconds of the video on The Chart Show was the highlight of everything we'd done. Hollywood might have been beckoning but the bank manager was waving harder.

I wasn't expecting to find it. I was looking to see if there was any live footage of the band. But there it was.



There's a cracking version of Soul Limbo on the EP.


Tunes: Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

No comments: