Monday, November 19, 2007

Kindness is a card game

I have a confession to make.

I'm quite partial, as they say, to the Pret a Manger Christmas sandwich. It's a pleasant enough run in to that orgiastic celebration of spending that commemorates the birth of a dude who wasn't really all that materialistic as I understand it. But then again, he probably never had a John Lewis nearby. Still, hey, that'll teach 'em for hijacking the all the good Pagan festivals. Oh and for those of you currently shaking your heads at my Revelations, I also like Adam Sandler movies, Poison, and live on a boat, so anyone wanting to question my judgement, I'm right up there behind you.

Anyway, sandwiches.

Turkey breast, pork and herb stuffing, fresh leaf spinach, crispy onions, cranberry sauce and mayo on malted wholegrain bread. It's not bad really. OK, so you pay a bit extra, retails at a lunchingly bodacious £3.25, 30 to 40p over the average, but I'm not terribly badly paid so I can afford one if the mood takes me. I'm not entirely sure which of those ingredients drives the price up; suppose it must cost a little extra to crisp those onions. I do love crispyonionmess time though.

But that's all ok because 10p from each one sold goes to homeless charities. And that's a good thing. And they also give all their unsold sandwiches to homeless shelters at the end of each day which is a damn sight better than chucking them.

Now, I'm also partial (as they say) to an Innocent smoothie. And I'm particularly happy that the old honey, lemon and ginger is back because it's ace. Now Innocent also like to give a little to charity at this time of year. And to prove it they knit these little bobble hats for the tops of their bottles which are about as much use as genital warts on your wedding night but they are cute. They also give 50p from each one sold to Age Concern. And the price of the drink stays the same.

So I wonder who's really doing the giving.

Listening to Bright Eyes: Cassadega

No comments: