Sunday, March 05, 2006

I Got My Eye On The Waterline, Trying To Keep My Sense Of Humour

The earth is 70.8% covered by water. We are made up of 72% water. That's a pretty close match don't you think? I often wonder whether the next stage of human evolution will be gills. We'll all be like Kevin Costner in Waterworld! Water is life, essential to the survival of most species on this planet. It is also death. I don't think anyone who survived the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami or hurricane Katrina would particularly argue with the potentially destructive power of water.

It took no more than a few spoonfulls of water to seep into the boat and under the bed to wipe out half my books, and a ton of my posessions. It took about the same to eat away at the wood of my sofa (although having to rebuild it may well be a good thing). It took only a couple of drops to seep through the keyboard of my Mac, fry the logic board and turn £1700 of stunning technology into a pretty box. The amount of water that's done damage to my possesions would fit in a tea cup with room for a top up. The cost of that damage is well into the two grand mark. And that's what I'm aware of...

Water rocks me to sleep every night. The sound of the rain on my roof softens me and the river brings me peace. The life that lives upon it keeps me grounded. It could easily destroy my home and everything I own.



Tunes: Tom Petty: Wildflowers

No comments: