Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sitting At Home, What Am I Doing? A Boy Waiting By The Phone

For anyone for whom it's been a while since they last experienced any lengthy period of unemployment, here's a reminder that it's incredibly debilitating. You can't go anywhere, do anything; there's folks I haven't seen who I should have ages ago. And once you cross the line between timeout and not working, as I have done, you begin to feel a snowballing sense of social unworth. On top of that job searching is a long, tedious and depressing task. At the best of times. Project managing a web site is far easier than keeping tabs on the multiple balls you need to juggle to find any kind of job these days. I'm beginning to think that people should be given management status and a six figure pay rise simply through having found a job. So all in all it doesn't look too promising on the cheery front. It hasn't helped that the past month seems to have passed under an extremely dark cloud. Looking back on it, I'd rather just not.

So do I regret the my decision to leave my last job? Not in the slightest. If I'd still been there, I wonder if I'd still be here (metaphorically speaking, it wasn't that bad...). Life would have been easier if I'd got my shit together a little sharpish but I've learnt some pretty interesting things about myself and what I want to do with the rest of my life and I'm walking out of this one feeling like I know myself a little better and feel a little more comfortable with my place in the great scheme of things, at least as I see them. At the moment, though, I feel as if the two sides, good and bad are continually clashing, but that'll pass once I'm paying taxes again!

It's also been really cool to see how cool people have been, and how so many have risen to keep me smiling. I count myself lucky that I know so many damn fine folks. Thank you to you all.

P.S. A couple of songs aside the new Secret Machines album is a bit of a let down on the first few listens.


Tunes: Secret Machines: Ten Silver Drops

No comments: