Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Matters Of Small Concern Should Be Treated With Great Seriousness

Somewhere out there is a silver ring with curved sides and five silver hallmarks imprinted on the outside, that used to sit on my left thumb. I noticed it was missing this morning as I sat on the pontoon after my run. After a couple of really shoddy weeks this might seem like a pretty petty incident but it was the one that finally brought tears to my eyes.

I've worn that ring every day since Annie gave it to me, her first birthday present to me, ten years ago. It has been infused with the love I had for her when we were a couple and infused with the love I have for her as my best friend, six years later. If when I die, I can look back and say that I had even an ounce of her passion for her family, her zest for laughter, her energy, her determination, her understanding of life, and her desire for justice I will die a happy and righteous man.

It's fair to say that it's not a great idea to invest so much emotion in an object, but only the other day I was thinking how I expected to wear that ring for ever. Annie, like all my friends, lives forever in my heart but I still loved that ring.

I walked back along my run this afternoon when I got home not expecting to find it. and I didn't. To be honest it could be anywhere between Teddington Lock and Leicester Square. If I'm never to see it again I hope it's in a bird's nest now. Or at least if someone has found it that it gives them great pleasure.

Do I feel as if the events of the past few weeks have been bad karma?

Yes.

But I think it's over now.

Now would be a good time to say that the reaction I've had from everyone about crashing the Mac has been really beautiful.

Thank you.

Tunes: Erm, I'm going to watch Murderball in a minute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that this happened. I know vaguely how you must feel: some years ago I wore a jade pendent round my neck that belonged to my grandfather. One day I noticed it was gone. I don't doubt that this was due to the knot in the leather thong I wore it with coming undone somewhere. Which makes it more my own fault than in your case - I tied a pendent inadequately and paid the price, but who would expect a ring to come off by itself?

Many ancient things in museums were probably lost in similar ways. One day their owners noticed they were gone. Maybe there were tears then as well.

This is what interests me in museums. Not the objet d'art that were so precious that no one could ever touch them, even in their day. But the normal, human things like rings and pendents. Things that represented peoples feelings and their relationships with each other.

We can't know their stories now, and that makes it more poignant somehow.