Saturday, March 25, 2006

We Are So Conditioned To Think That Our Lives Revolve Around Great Moments. But Great Moments Often Catch Us Unawares.

If I'm asked what the worst thing about living on a boat is, it's the leaks. Water on the outside, not the inside: prime rule for floating living. Most leaks are reasonably small, but devastating over time, and finding them tends to involve completely overhauling your roof. The exit point into your home is rarely directly below the entry point through your roof. If you haven't heard anything about some major roof renovation by the end of August feel free to kick my arse. It needs to happen this year. I've been living under canvas for well over a year now, but I am a three tarp kind of guy, so that's ok then. As long as the tarps remain on, I remain dry. When they come off, I'm going to be spending much time with my sander!

If you've ever had that cosy tent / rain feeling, well being on Chuffy in the rain is much the same. The rain's hitting only a few inches from my head, only I know it won't come in if I touch the sides, and I can still watch a DVD if I want. Unfortunately today it also means that it's raining on Rob and Nina's wedding. But as double Glastonbury veterans they should be taking it in their stride.

As the spring rain brings life to the earth, it's bringing life back to me, and the world around me. In only a few days I've seen a host of new wildlife around the river, the highlight being my first kingfisher. I was standing on the mooring after my run and noticed a flash of glittering blue skimming over the river towards the mooring and with a flick back across to the other side. Much bigger than I'd expected but that blue is unmistakable. It was beautiful. I've also seen what I took to be a vole since it was much squatter than a rat with no tail, and plenty of robins and grey wagtails. Only grey wagtails have yellow breasts. There's also a pied wagtail that hangs around near Mike and Trish's boats, skittery little thing, looks a bit like a swallow that's been spray painted to look like a panda.

I learnt today that ducks don't like being flicked with water. Even when it's raining. So don't flick ducks with water. They don't like it. Even though you think they might.


Tunes: The Secret Machines

No comments: